The Return of Ibis
Year of Realisation:
Goal and Project Description:
Activities of Young Researchers of Serbia for saving famous wetland Obedska bara are realized throughout the project called “The Return of the Ibis”. The project began in 1992, continued as a longer-term strategical activity that was from 1997 till nowadays organized through the realization of international environmental workcamps, with the goal: solving environmental problems of this protected area and revitalization of Obedska bara natural habitats.
The work during international voluntary workcamps is conducted with enterprise “Vojvodinasume”, which governs this Special Nature Reserve and in cooperation with the local community.
By this continuous work during 1997-2017 we have come to the following results:
- 20 workcamps organized with a participation of over 300 volunteers from all around the world
- over 100 ha of wet meadows were formed in the Horseshoe, with additional surfaces partially cleared of woody vegetation
- about 160t of organic matter was taken out of the Horseshoe area by direct replacing or by burning
- the decrease in the number of herons and egrets in the colony of Obedska bara was halted
- the new wet meadows are again a good place for reproduction of fish, amphibians and reptiles and herbaceous plant
- the cleared area became one of the most important feeding places for: Black Stork, Grey Heron, Little Egret, White Stork and Spoonbill, and birds of pray: white-tailed Eagle, Black Kite, Honey Buzzard and Marsh Harrier
- the local community is animated and activated in the battle for sanitation and revitalization of Obedska bara
- the water regime is improved by increasing the mean water level for 0.5m during the dry period, and with the help of the dam near Macvanska Mitrovica the water level is raised from 200 cm to 320 cm in the summer period
- Several bird species have returned, among them Plegadis falcinellus.
Local communities, international and national volunteers
Project Spacial Area:
The project is ongoing. YRS is yearly planning activities with the manager of Obedska bara PE “Vojvodinasume” and Provincial Institute for Nature Conservation of Vojvodina.
International voluntary workcamps in the period 2009 – 2014 were supported by the Municipality of Pecinci (960.000,00 RSD)