Young Researchers of Serbia (YRS)
is a non-profit, non-political NGO that gathers young people around common interests, ideas and goals. YRS aroused from the research movement at Valjevo in 1969, but in 1976 was officially established as a network of organizations, societies, clubs and sections with research programmes, gathered around the coordinative office on the republic level in Belgrade. Through its history, the number of members changed, but there were over 50 different organizations taking part. In the 90’s YRS leaves the organizational form of vertical relationships following the current direction of civil sector development. Today YRS represents the organization on the national level and is unites three thematically different but interconnected sectors – Youth Sector, Voluntary Service of Serbia and Environmental Protection and Conservation Sector.
Young Researchers of Serbia have more than 3000 members, mostly young people aged 15-30.
THINK BIG – do little: start an avalanche! is our motto.
Our vision is to be the driving force for all those whose aim is to make our planet a more peaceful, just and healthy place.
Driven by science and education, our mission is to contribute:
– to environmental protection and nature conservation,
– to development of voluntarism and its values,
– to scientific creativity and active participation of the youth
Our main aims are environmental protection, environmental education, youth exchange and work with young people, as well as the promotion of sustainable development, scientific creativity and voluntarism.
We have organized hundreds of research projects and educative programmes for young people in various areas of natural and social sciences.
Voluntary Service of Serbia (VSS) is a volunteer exchange service centre founded in 1990 as one of the sectors of Young Researchers of Serbia (YRS).
The goal of the VSS is to develop and promote volunteering through several of its continuing programs, in a continuous relationship with other YRS programs:
– International exchange of volunteers and coordination of informal network of external member organizations (Contact points) in Serbia;
– Organization of international volunteer workcamps in Serbia;
– European volunteering service and long-term volunteering;
– Development of infrastructure and supportive environment for volunteering and networking of relevant stakeholders in Serbia and world wide, participation in working groups, commissions and membership in national and international networks;
– The membership of Young Researchers of Serbia in a different networks, where the VSS stands for the development and promotion of volunteering
Young Researchers of Serbia is one of the founding members of National Youth Cauncil of Serbia (KOMS), an associate member of National Association of Youth Workers (NAPOR) and member of international networks: Alliance of European Voluntary Services, the Coordinating Committee for International Voluntary Services (CCIVS), Youth and Environment Europe (YEE) and a partner member of Service Civil International (SCI) in Serbia. Young Researchers of Serbia is one of the founders of the regional network South East European Youth Network (SEEYN).